LogicalDOC startup problem (warfile)

Problems with installing LogicalDOC? No problems, the solution is closer than you think.

Moderator: car031

HeiniEdgar

LogicalDOC startup problem (warfile)

Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:48 pm

Hi.
I deployed the latest warfile (CE 7.3) into an existing Tomcat 7.0.42 installation running on SUSE linux.
Startup then failed with an exception somehow related to plugins (according to source code of ApplicationListener.java)
What's going on here? Any help appreciated, TIA
logfile excerpt:

Nov 01, 2015 3:37:07 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFORMATION: No Spring WebApplicationInitializer types detected on classpath
Nov 01, 2015 3:37:08 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext listenerStart
SCHWERWIEGEND: Exception sending context initialized event to listener instance of class com.logicaldoc.web.ApplicationListener
java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.logicaldoc.web.ApplicationListener.unpackPlugins(ApplicationListener.java:186)
at com.logicaldoc.web.ApplicationListener.contextInitialized(ApplicationListener.java:168)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart(StandardContext.java:4939)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.startInternal(StandardContext.java:5434)
at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:150)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:901)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:877)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:633)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployWAR(HostConfig.java:976)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig$DeployWar.run(HostConfig.java:1653)
at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:471)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:262)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1145)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:615)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

Nov 01, 2015 3:37:08 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFORMATION: Initializing Spring root WebApplicationContext
Nov 01, 2015 3:37:14 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFORMATION: Closing Spring root WebApplicationContext
agaspa

Re: LogicalDOC startup problem (warfile)

Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:21 pm

Hi Edgar,
exactly which file you downloaded from SourceForge?

Some distributions lacks of a properties file because the deployment layout is different,
if you took the war file from one of these distributions, you may have a problem (because of missing prop.file)
HeiniEdgar

Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:36 am

agaspa wrote:Hi Edgar,
exactly which file you downloaded from SourceForge?

Some distributions lacks of a properties file because the deployment layout is different,
if you took the war file from one of these distributions, you may have a problem (because of missing prop.file)
I downloaded
logicaldoc-webapp-7.3.war
from SourceForge Home / distribution / LogicalDOC CE 7.3
hth
agaspa

Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:27 pm

My suggestion is to rename the war (before adding it to the webapps folder) into logicaldoc.war
Note that LogicalDOC CE 7.3 requires at least Java SE 7 (JRE 1.7) installed into the system.

We tested another time the war on a MS Windows 10 Pro, Java SE 8 (JRE 1.8.0_45) and Tomcat 7.0.59

The system works well, but be careful,
because if in the first run Tomcat has thrown an error, (maybe for conflicting socket/PORT)
it may not have extracted all the resources from the .war file and this could be the cause of your problem.

In this case the best solution is to shut down Tomcat,
delete the expanded folder logicaldoc-webapp-7.3 (or logicaldoc) [under webapps] and restart Tomcat.
HeiniEdgar

Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:46 pm

Well, I am not sure what exactly did the trick, but that beast ist up an running at last, thanks a heap.

As you recommended I renamed the warfile to logicaldoc.war and copied it directly into tomcat's webapps directory.
After several restarts, fumbling with properties, granting permissions here and there, and some more voodoo (like compiling pdf2swf) everything works fine now.

Using the warfile is cool but not for the faint of heart, if I may say so ;-)

Return to “Installation”