"Read" permission grayed out

LogicalDOC has many interesting features, but requires some configuration process to show its full potential.

Moderator: car031

captain_vood

"Read" permission grayed out

Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:36 pm

I am using 6.3 Community. I want to restrict a certain user account, or perhaps the guest group, to access a specific folder only. Is this possible in the Community edition?

The "read" permission check box is grayed out and not selectable no matter what I do, so I cannot find a way to limit permissions to a single folder, because I cannot turn off the permissions on the other folders. I even created a new user, and added it specifically to the folder (which seemingly has grayed our read perms by default), but upon login, the user could not see anything because they cannot "drill down" to the required folder, because they do not have perms to the parent folder. Adding read to the parent folder fixes this but defeats the purpose of having read access to one specific folder, because they can then see the items in the parent.

Anyone have any ideas?
Attachments
no-read.JPG
Cannot change READ setting!
no-read.JPG (36.37 KiB) Viewed 4242 times
agaspa

Re: "Read" permission grayed out

Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:22 am

If you want to remove the read permission you must use the right mouse click on the row and select the delete action
Attachments
ScreenHunter_01 Mar. 31 09.25.gif
Delete menu is displayed after pressing the right mouse button on the row
ScreenHunter_01 Mar. 31 09.25.gif (20.08 KiB) Viewed 4241 times
captain_vood

Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:19 pm

Thanks. That will get me where I need to be, although, it is a fairly convoluted way to achieve something very simple. If I had say, 5,000 folders, removing "read" for the 4,999 folders my guest account does NOT need access to, would be a nightmare.

Anyway, thanks again!
car031

Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:14 am

Hey captain! Do you know that in LogicalDOC each folder can inherit from another folder?

Supporse you have this tree:
A/B/C
A/D/E/F
A/G/H/I

Suppose now to configure your security policies in A and click on 'Apply to subfolders', at this point B, C, D, E, F, G, H will be 'linked' to A in regards of security policies, so you cannot have to do nothing
In addition when you create a new folder, it will inherit the parent's policies by default.

I think you have to reformulate your criticism.
captain_vood

Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:40 pm

This appears not to be the case...

Consider from your example, you want the read only user to ONLY be able to read documents in folder "D" and below. The user will require read permissions on the folder above it to be able to drill down to "D", so they will also need read access to folder "A". In otherwords, without reading the contents of "A", you could never see "D" to get to the documents you do have access to.

So if you apply read permissions to "A", you then have to go to each folder, "B", and "G" and delete the user to achieve the user only getting to "D" and below. If instead of "B" and "G", you had 650 folders at that same level in the folder structure, you would be there all day removing read perms for that user...

See what I mean?

Return to “Configuration”