windows firewall inbound rule: which services?

LogicalDOC has many interesting features, but requires some configuration process to show its full potential.

Moderator: car031

tomatoma

windows firewall inbound rule: which services?

Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:51 pm

Hello,

I am running LogicalDOC Community 7.1.3 on Windows 7 32-bit.
The firewall inbound rule set up by the installation process does not allow me to access LogicalDOC from other computer on the same LAN.
If in that rule (named LogicalDOC) I change service from LogicalDOC-Community to any service, then I can access LogicalDOC from my LAN.
So, there must be some other service/services involved in the communication.
The question is, for which other service/services do I need to open the 8080 port?

Many thanks,
Kind regards
Matteo
mmeschieri

Re: windows firewall inbound rule: which services?

Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:33 am

Thanks for this feedback, we recently added this capability in the installer but the port must be open for any service and program, like you done. We will change our installer accordingly.
tomatoma

Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:50 am

Hello mmeschieri,

Thanks for your reply.
I opened the port only for any services (not any services and any programs) and so far I did not notice any problem.
Is it risky to leave a port open for any services (and programs?) to any incoming requests on the computer firewall (no IP filters and so on) and to have port forwarding enabled on the rooter for any incoming requests (again no IP filters...).
In half an hour my router forwarded two incoming requests on port 8080 from unknown IP addresses. :shock: Then, worried, I shut the door on my rooter!
I am not an IT expert, so wouldn't know the potential risks! :oops:

Kind regards,
Matteo
mmeschieri

Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:04 pm

Only LogicalDOC will serve traffic on port 8080, and you can sleep quiet dreams because we are strong enough ;)
In any case this firewall rule is just a small help to you as system administrator, feel free to adapt is to your needs.
tomatoma

Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:31 pm

Hello,

I did not know that
Only LogicalDOC will serve traffic on port 8080
(My wife, a librarian, said she knew it!) ;)

Thanks, I feel safer now.
Kind regards,
Matteo

Return to “Configuration”