Automatic Import Folders Issue

We tried to make LogicalDOC as intuitive as possible, but an advice is always welcome.

Moderator: car031

Spacesoul

Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:34 am

Hello, I have set the folder "test2" to be synchronized with logicaldoc and it works perfectly, however I have seen this issue:

1. The Automatic Sync hascreated the folder and uploaded the file in the folder, "test2.txt", creating a first version 1.0. Perfect.
2. I manually changed the file, and rerun the Import Folder service, to synchronize the file "test2.txt" changed, and worked perfectly creating a 2.0 version. Perfect.
3. Again I manually changed the file "test2.txt", and submit it with "Check out" and "Check In", and LogicalDoc created a new version 2.1. Perfect.
4. And now the problem, I rerun the Import Folder service. The Import folder service, I think it should check for file changes with the lastest version available (2.1), instead of comparing with the main trunk version.
A new version 3.0 has been created automatically, which is the same than v2.1, because the file was compared for changes with version 2.0. It should not create a new file since its already there in version 2.1 manually submitted via Check In.

Its really confusing to have a lot of multiple versions, one of them repeated with changes and some not.

Please compare with the lastest version available, or give us an option to do that to avoid repeated files for our non experienced users which will get crazy with some many files synchronized with repeated content.

Attached a picture which clearly shows the problem, version 2.1 and version 3.0 are the same. Version 3.0 should not be created if we compare with version 2.1
Attachments
AutomaticImportIssue.png
AutomaticImportIssue.png (91.57 KiB) Viewed 6310 times
car031

Re: Automatic Import Folders Issue

Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:18 pm

Well, every time the remote file has an updated last modified date the document is imported again and a new major version will be created. In your case the document with version 2.1 is updated to 3.0 because of the remote file has a more recent last modified date(in comparison with the previous import timestamp).

This behaviour is quite clear and basic.
Spacesoul

Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:36 pm

car031 wrote:Well, every time the remote file has an updated last modified date the document is imported again and a new major version will be created. In your case the document with version 2.1 is updated to 3.0 because of the remote file has a more recent last modified date(in comparison with the previous import timestamp).

This behaviour is quite clear and basic.
Thats what I explained in the example and its not a good option for users which will see a lot of file versions repeated, and they will not know what of them are repeated and what of them are not.

Imagine the following horrible scenario where the user wants to recover some old version. He will get crazy checking what files are repeated and what of them are not. He will end opening all files because is very confused about the repeated files. Not to talk about non experienced users, they will directly discard the product.

file: test.txt
versions:
1.0 Automatic import
1.1 Manual Check in
2.0 Automatic Import (equal than 1.1, but the non experienced user doesnt know it, and must check one by one).
2.1 Manual Check in
2.2 Manual Check in
2.3 Manual Check in
3.0 Automatic Import (equal than 2.3)
3.1 Manual Check in
4.0 Automatic Import (equal than 3.1)
4.1 Manual Check in
4.2 Manual Check in
4.3 Manual Check in
4.4 Manual Check in
5.0 Automatic Import (equal than 4.4)
and so on..

This is horrible for users, and it would be really nice if there could be an option to compare the Automatic Import with the small version so that there doesnt exists a lot of repeated files. Have in mind that our company will handle thousand and thousand of GB of documents, and this will be a must for us. I think LogicalDoc is perfect for us and its wonderfull, but we need a clear interface and a clear version of our files for our users.
car031

Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:10 pm

Its not a good idea to have a mixed schenario in which some times the same file is altered outside LogicalDOC and sometimes it is altered from the GUI.
My suggestion is to define LogicalDOC as the sole and unique company's repository and all users have to use it's interface (web, Office, Outlook ...) instead of using the external folders, and use the import folder to import all your historical data or to import the first version of newly created docs.

In the early first stage of your implementation you could train just a few people to use LogicalDOC while the others will continue to use the external filesystem, and at the end all the users will directly interact with LogicalDOC with one of its interfaces.

If this approach is not possible in your case, and you are planning to use one of the commercial editions, a possible solution is to ask for a customized import logic.
Spacesoul

Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:45 pm

Thank you for your suggestion car031, with altered I think you mean upload/checkin the file.

Yes we are thinking about a comercial version, however this is a simple fix which we would like to see if it could be addressed in some way and also help us to see how is the support here, since from I have read from others, its very good.

I think this is a very important issue or improvement which could be easily fixed and would solve the problem you are describing about using the GUI interface for manual uploading and the Automatic Folder Uploading at the same time. Our users are going to need to share a big amount of data in shared resources, so a lot of times Manual Uploading will be the required way, and some other times the full Automatic Folder Uploading Sync will be the required way. We need both options as you can see.
car031

Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:37 am

The best thing to do in your case is to ask a full quote for the product and the personalizations you need by writing to sales@logicaldoc.com.
If the improvement is an evolution of the platform and your installation is big, it could be added to the development plan without additional costs, but of course you will have to be a customer if you want to have your request processed in an acceptable time.
Spacesoul

Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:26 am

Yes I will contact them soon as I did in the past thanks. However we dont mind if we have to wait to see an official answer about if this could be fixed in the near future, since its not a very complicated issue, and as you said it is more a concept of view than a bug that needs a fix.
I understand that there are probably more important developments and other on going fixes, but it would be perfect of we could get a tip about if this is going to be patched :)

Return to “Usage”