storing document data in database

Help us to improve LogicalDOC! Be part of the Open Source Community.

Moderator: car031

mernst0

storing document data in database

Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:31 pm

Hello,

I'm evaluating LD CE with oracle database for future use in our company. Unfortunately, LD CE does not store document data in database, it is stored in the file system of the web server (or any other file server). For security / safety reasons it has to be stored in database (access rights, transactional, backup, logging, and so on). Is this different in LD full version? Is this a subject to change over in the near future?

regards,
mmeschieri

Re: storing document data in database

Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:06 am

Even the commercial editions of LogicalDOC store the files in file system and this guarantees the performances when your repository grows.
Usually document management systems tend to record documents on file-system, there are very few DMS that allows to store documents in the database.
It is a matter of performance and practicality.
Braids is much easier to back up a file system, rather than a database whose size may become very large.
mernst0

Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:45 am

hmmm... no, I cannot do that, it is too risky. Without something like Oracle archivelog it's not the question if there will be data loss - there will be. It's only the question when data loss will happen. See https://asktom.oracle.com/pls/asktom/f? ... 9003975499 where "noarchivelog" and "file system" ist pretty much the same. I already paid for these Oracle features - so why not use them.
agaspa

Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:07 pm

Okay mernst0, I understand your point of view,
maybe in the future we will implement one storer that can store the documents as blobs in the database.
The problem is that this type of solution (document stored as blobs) is not very portable,
in practice it is difficult to write code that can run on all types database...
ReChardGoomez

Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:34 pm

If they are in the file system of the web server, then there must be a way to change file permissions. However considering moving it to a database would be a nice upgrade.

Return to “New features discussion”