Single user (Home office) Document management

We tried to make LogicalDOC as intuitive as possible, but an advice is always welcome.

Moderator: car031

sjh_641

Single user (Home office) Document management

Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:59 pm

Of late, I've become aware that - while some of the benefits of a document management system only make sense in the context of a corporation - a document management system would be exceptionally useful in a home-office context. The use case I have chosen to tackle is one where a load of 'personal records' can be scanned; associated with any letters/photos that may be important - and stored on a home-office Linux server - where, when needed in future, do not require a search through various filesystem structures on a variety of aging laptops etc. I am not anticipating a vast volume of data - in the order of dozens of documents per month, perhaps... but the burden is the import of legacy data - which, even for personal documents is considerable.

Having tried and rejected several DMS - realizing that Open Source is important to me (as I expect any system I adopt will need to live for decades) - I've installed LogicalDOC Community Edition. While my initial impressions were good, I've found a few frustrating problems - which, if they evade a solution, put me back at square one.
  • While I can apply tags to multiple items when I import them, If I change my mind, I can't see an easy way to apply changes - except individually to one file at a time. This is extremely inconvenient - especially at the early stages of adoption - when I need to establish a suitable set of tags... and, likely, change this set in light of patterns emerging in the documents I import. Can I change the tags for multiple documents at once in Community Edition?
  • I would *really* like to see previews - especially of my PDF format scanned documents. I have read that only Community Edition only supports preview of PDF (which would be acceptable - I can adopt PDF as my primary document format) - but it doesn't seem to work. I see "Preview Not Available. Contact the system administrator." - though I do see thumbnails for those PDF documents. When I look at http://help.logicaldoc.com/en/39-instal ... de/generic I see mention of pdftohtml - I have this installed - and it is on my path, but there is no option to specify its path when I look at the "Clients and External Apps".
  • I would like to integrate LogicalDoc with LibreOffice (rather than OpenOffice - as LibreOffice is installed by default on Ubuntu). Is this possible? (It isn't clear what path should be entered.)
  • I love the sound of CMIS and WebDAV support... but I've not had much luck. Windows (8.1) doesn't seem to recognize the webdav url as a remote "Network Place" - and I'm not aware of any CMIS clients. Does this work in the Community Edition? Do I need to use special clients?
I've just been informed (when checking my LogicalDoc version) that Version 7.2 has been released. The above relate to 7.1.3 - I guess I should upgrade. Any comments/help would be very welcome.
mmeschieri

Re: Single user (Home office) Document management

Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:35 am

Hi, all the points you are describing are covered in the commercial editions of LogicalDOC.
Please consider to go with a commercial product because you will find the following benefits:
[*]Professional and quick support
[*]Wide set of features
[*]Assured data resilience
[*]Easy upgrades to new versions

With LogicalDOC you are assured about the long term support since there is a real company behind the product that is also it's core business.
Unfortunately you are just a home user while the DMS is more for companies, so the suggestion is to avoid criticisms and use what you are able to get for free or take into consideration to pay to have complete product.

Return to “Usage”